Our customers continue to make very heavy use of Amazon S3. We now process up to 370,000 S3 requests per second.
Many of these are PUT requests, representing new data that is flowing in to S3. As of the end of the third quarter of 2011, there are 566 billion (566,000,000,000) objects in S3. Here's a growth chart:
We've doubled the object count in just nine months (the other data points are from Q4). My math skills are a bit rusty but I definitely know exponential growth when I see it!
Designing, building, and running a large-scale distributed service like this isn't for the faint of heart. We're very proud of what we have done, but we have plans to do a whole lot more. If you are ready to push the state of the art in this area, consider applying for one of the open positions on the S3 team. Here's a sampling (these jobs are all based in Seattle):
- Software Development Manager - Simple Storage Service
- Software Development Engineer - Simple Storage Service
- Senior Software Development Engineer - Simple Storage Service
- Systems Engineer - Simple Storage Service
- Principal Product Manager - Simple Storage Service
- Director, Amazon S3
We also have a number of business development positions open:
- Business Development Manager - S3 Cloud Storage (Seattle)
- Business Development Representative - S3/Cloud Storage (Seattle)
- Sales Manager - S3 Cloud Storage (UK / Slough)
- Business Development Manager - S3 Cloud Storage (Paris)